Best gas or propane fire pits for cooking
1. Outland Firebowl 893 Delux Outdoor Portable Propane Fire PitDimensions: 18.5 x 18.5 x 10.5 inches Weight: 22 lbs BTU/hr: 58,000 If you live in areas with almost regular burn bans, then this campfire fire pit could be the answer to your worries. You can even use it in your backyard without needing to purchase whatnot to use with it. In fact, it comes with its own handy outdoor fire pit cooking tools. What’s so good about it is its safety as I pointed to it earlier. The lid that it comes with is easy to put on in case you sense anything dangerous. You may not even need it as many customers have reported no smoke, splinters, or anything of that sort. Setting it up is also a breeze. You only have to unpack it, place it in a safe place, and connect it to your propane tank. Yes, I’d like to mention the long hose pipe that it has. You’ll literally have the tank out of your sight and your kids won’t trip over it at all. Talking about its cooking potential, well, its BTU is well over the minimum threshold of 40,000 BTU. So, congratulations on that.
- Highly portable
- Comes with a complete carry kit and lava rocks
- Made from steel. Therefore, it is sturdier than you think
- You can use conversion kits with it
- Gives out decent BTUs
- The straps securing the lid can be a pain sometimes
2. Outland Firebowl 863 Cypress Outdoor Portable Propane Gas Fire PitDimensions: 21 x 21 x 9.2 inches Weight: 25.5 pounds BTU/hr: 58,000 As you might have sensed by now, this product is bigger than the previous one. However, it has the same BTU, which means you can expect slow to medium cooking in case you’re doing some serious master chef stuff. This is what some customers have alluded to. But like I said if you’re, let’s say roasting a lamb, then I’m sorry it’s not for that. Outdoor cooking should be light and fast. For that, my friends, this fire pit like the one I reviewed above is perfectly suited. As to what makes this better than the first one in our list, I’d like to introduce you to its Helios burner. It is known for spreading the flame evenly around the pit and thus, providing the same BTU in every direction. So, if you’re using a fire pit cooking grate cast iron over it to do some barbecue, it won’t disappoint you at all. Moreover, it has the same steel construction and thus, the same sturdiness customers are drolling over.
- Highly portable
- Steel make up means it is durable
- Comes with a lid and straps for carrying
- Requires less space
- Produces no smoke or soot
- You’d have to use an independent propane tank. In case you want to connect it to your RV propane supply, you’d have to use conversion kits.
3. Heininger 5995 Portable Propane Outdoor Fire PitDimensions: 19.2 x 19.2 x 11.5 inches Weight: 22 pounds BTU/hr: 58,000 Heininger stands shoulder to shoulder in quality with Outland and that’s why I have included this one here. It has almost the same shape as the previous two, but it certainly looks lovely with its carvings. When the fire is burning in this fire bowl, giving out 58,000 BTU/hr, I’m sure you won’t be able to ignore it peeking at you through these carvings. Performance-wise, too, it will not disappoint you. Yes, some customers have complained about the height of its flame, but that can be corrected. You simply have to use more lava stones or wait for the existing ones to heat up before you see wild high flames. This phenomenon, basically, happens when you use any fire pit or fire bowl be it Outland’s or Heininger’s. Follow what I said above and you’ll have a healthy flame. However, make sure that you use small lava rocks when you are placing a fire pit barbecue grill over it.
- Very lightweight and thus, portable
- Comes with a “cover” that has the product itself, lava rocks, and a long hose so that you’re not annoyed by the propane tank
- Absolutely gives out no smoke or whatever
- Gives a decent 7 hours of burn through your regular 20 lb tank
- $40 for a lid. Who needs it anyway? You can still buy cheap lids.
4. Camco 51210 18-Inch Outdoor Fire PitDimensions: 25.7 x 19.5 x 14 inches Weight: 49 pounds BTU/hr: 65,000 Bigger and hotter, as I’d call this product. And it’s apparent from its dimensions and BTU. So, if you’re into a product that can stay in one place, say your backyard, and can deliver outdoor cooking experience, then this one is for you. The design is what makes a home in your heart. Elegant black and copper look is all you need to stay warm and cook in style right in your backyard or somewhere between the woods. Woods, I say? Yes, you can use this in the woods without the fear of causing fire, thanks to its very much under control knob. What’s different about this fire pit is its Piezo starter or igniter. You won’t find this addition in the previous ones we talked about. However, don’t get carried away because some users have complained about its shabby function on continual usage. And did I mention that it has a wider ring to support a bigger utensil? Check it out yourself.
- Bigger and hotter
- Includes 12 lbs lava rocks, a 10-foot hose, and a storage cover
- You can set it up or assemble it in mere minutes
- No smoke
- The flame height is questionable. However, to increase it, one of the customers drilled a few holes in the fire ring and cleaned the existing ones. I do not recommend it if you’re not an expert. Period.
5. Tacklife Propane Fire Pit With CoverDimensions: 18.7 x 18.7 x 14.6 inches Weight: 30 lbs BTU/hr: 50,000 lbs Place a fire pit cooking grate (cast iron or whatever) over it and grill that steak to your liking. It wouldn’t burn the meat at all because of low BTUs/hr. Slow cooking will ensure you get everything right. But please bear it in mind that 50,000 BTU is well worth it. By slow cooking, I meant slower than the fire bowls I reviewed above. The reason I included this product in my list is its complete positive reviews. Why? Simply because it’s safe, CSA approved, made from stainless steel and thus, sturdy, no assembly is required, and most importantly, it comes with a fluorescently marked hose so that you don’t trip over or tangle in it in the dark. It also comes with a fire pit cover, propane tank shelf, and lava rocks. But what’s drool-worthy is its 24 months warranty.
- Bang for the buck
- Highly professional after-sale service
- Comes with a great many things
- Despite low BTU as compared to the products above, the flame height is still impressive
- A little heavier, but we can live with that given all these perks, no?
6. Napoli Bertello Wood Fire and Gas Outdoor Pizza OvenDimensions: 22 x 14 x 10.5 inches Weight: 29.4 pounds Temperature attainable: 900 degrees (my eyes are popping now) I’d like you to check out this product if you really want to make outdoor cooking a fun activity with your kids this season. As you’ve read it, it is not a fire bowl as such, but rather an oven used to make delicious pizzas when you’re outdoor. It is versatile when it comes to the type of fuel. However, bear in mind that you have to buy the gas attachment separately, which is completely worth it when you want scrumptious 12” pizza. Assembling this piece is entirely easy and there’s a dedicated holder at the back, which makes it completely portable. As to how it cooks pizza, well, the 900 degrees mark should answer that for you. I’d like to say here that customers have mentioned that at that much heat, you’ll have your pizza done in 2 to 3 minutes or even less. However, at the same time, some have complained about the back of the oven too close to the flames. For them, making a perfect pizza is almost impossible as they burn the backside of it. Still, others have not mentioned this and some even go to say that they had to turn the pizza two to three times and there wasn’t any problem.
- Versatile fuel-wise
- Can cook 12” pizza just fine
- Can be taken anywhere
- You’d have to buy gas attachment separately
- You might burn your pizza if you don’t pay attention
Fire Pit Cooking Utensils
1. Fire Pit Barbecue GrillsWait, are you thinking that grates are only for grills? If yes, you should rethink that because, in the outdoors, there are no rules or anything. You have to use anything that can come in handy. I present to you the following grill grates.
Sunnydaze Outdoor Fire Pit Cooking GrateAvailable in 24 inches all the way to 40 inches diameter, this chrome plate is well suited to the fire pits that I reviewed above. It is undoubtedly strong with the right spaces for your steaks, kabobs, and all things tasty. What I particularly like about it is its hinged center, which is convenient in many ways. It can be folded and carried around easily, and if you’re cooking something that needs to be held well, you can do that too without any problem. And yes, it has a 1-year warranty.
Sunnydaze X-Marks Fire Pit Cooking Grill GrateWeighing 14 pounds, this grill grate is also my favorite for its thickness and versatility. I mean you can place it over your fire pit, or you can hang it from a cooking tripod I’ve reviewed below. Also, if you go to the product page, you’ll see that it comes in a variety of sizes of 19, 24, 30, 36, 37.5, and 40 inches. This one too has a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty. But seeing its durable double steel design, I don’t think you’d need that. Using this grill grate is also very easy as it boasts two handles on either side. However, make sure you use fire or heat resistant gloves.
How to clean these grates?This is a little aside for the sake of your convenience. Outdoor cooking can be fun but cleaning your fire pit equipment, especially fire pit barbecue grills can be a pain. So, here’s Alpha Grillers Grill Brush Bristle Free Grill Cleaner. I recommend it because it’s bristle free and therefore, leaves nothing behind on the grill/grate. You can even use this for porcelain grates. The confidence of the manufacturers can be judged from the fact that they give out a lifetime money-back guarantee.
2. Open Fire Cooking PotsCast iron open fire cooking equipment or pots should be used and I’ve got two sets to review here for you.
Stansport Cast Iron 6 Piece Cookware SetNow, these are outdoor fire pit cooking utensils that I was talking about. They are made from cast iron, which makes them extremely well suited for outdoor fires. The benefit of this material is that it evenly distributes heat and that could easily cook things for you even on concentrated low flame. This set includes all you need:
- A 10-inch fire pan
- 3squart Chicken Fryer with Lid
- 10-inch Dutch Oven
- Dutch Oven LId Lifter
- Cast Iron Hot Handle Holder
AmazonBasics Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron 5-Piece Kitchen Cookware SetSome of you might think AmazonBasics is not worth it, but trust me, as the name alludes to, its products are cheaper and relatively of good quality if not best. This set offers 5 casts iron open fire cooking equipment that you may find worth buying. You get
- A 10.5-inch griddle
- 8-inch skillet
- 10.25-inch skillet
- And a 10.25-inch Dutch oven with lid.
Lodge 5TP2 Tall Boy Tripod, BlackSince I mentioned cast iron Dutch ovens, I’d have to talk about cooking tripods. You can easily use them for the firepits I’ve reviewed above. Actually, if you use the tripod I’m reviewing here, you won’t need grate grills or those kinds of things. The flame of the fire pit will heat the oven directly from below. How’s that for quick outdoor cooking? This tripod also offers separately a dutch oven lid lifter and a dutch oven so that you get a complete set if you skip buying the two reviewed above. Talking about its specifications, it is offered in two heights of 43.5 inches and 60 inches. The chain is 36 inches, which gives you ample length to hang the oven wherever you like. The tripod and the chain are all steel and therefore, it can withstand high temperatures, just like that.
3. Fire Pit Cooking ToolsOutdoor fire pit cooking tools need to be durable and extremely reliable. I’ve got products that you can use not only for fire pit cooking, but also for grilling, and even in your kitchen.
Cuisinart CGS-134 Grilling Tool Set with Grill Glove, RedYes! This set has a grill glove and this is what you need if you don’t want to roast yourself. Other than the glove, you get a grill spatula, grill tongs, and a grill fork. These are all made from steel and the customers are quite happy with their purchase. Of course, there are some that aren’t happy, and I don’t blame them. Everything can not be perfect. Besides this tool kit, the manufacturer also offers “Professional Grill Tool Set” that includes the same things and rubber grips and a “Cleaning Brush”.
Wealers Camp Kitchen Utensil Organizer Travel Outdoor Cookware UtensilsThis isn’t just an organizer, but a complete set of fire pit cooking equipment that can come in handy when you’re cooking outdoors. It includes a cutting board, a knife, spatula, Ladle, rice paddle, scissors, and tongs. Almost every tool or spoon you could need outdoors is included in this organizer. You’d fall in love with the pack itself. It is made from high-quality durable material so that you don’t have to buy it again and again. Besides being compact, it has a very eye-catching premium design. You can choose from 6 different colors and no matter what color you choose, you’ll get a fully functional organizer with high-quality fiber and zips. You can check more cooking tools, spoons, and organizers here.
MalloMe Marshmallow Roasting Smores SticksLast but not least, you’d definitely need marshmallow roasting sticks if you want to see your kids happy. You probably did this activity, too, with your parents when you were a small kid. MalloMe Marshmallow sticks are top-rated and expert-approved for your children. They are 22 inches long so that your children can safely roast their marshmallows on your backyard fire pit. The pack does not only contain 5 Piece Telescoping Fork Set, but also a Canvas Travel Bag Pouch and 10 recipes for perfectly roasting marshmallows and making s’ mores. What else could make your kids happy than this? Firepit cooking can be a fun activity this season. I’ve reviewed the best fire pits for cooking, the utensils you need, and the tools you should own to pull it off successfully. Tell in the comments below which fire pit are you going for?
Hasnain is a blogger, entrepreneur, marketer, editor, author, and seller. He has worked for different national and international businesses.